Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Turkey Bowl (Professional Turkey League)

I bet some of the posters here remember the Turkey Bowl games we used to play in Oakwood Estates.

I have a video tape from the 1985 Turkey Bowl game that was reported on by Jeff Picoro on WTVQ-TV (Lexington's channel 36).

Anybody want to have a reunion of "has beens"/"never weres" to watch the tape and play a game. Sometime after Thanksgiving would work for me.

I am going to name everybody I can remember who played in that game (I may include some who weren't there or leave out some who were):

Me
Tim Estes (my PTL co-commissioner)
Greg Snow
Bryant Chambers
Kenny Chambers
Joey Smith
Joey Wilson
Mickey Goodwin
Kenny Phoenix
Donald McCormack
Scott Rogers
Todd Coleman
Tim Jackson
Bobby Jeffries
Billy Harris
Ray Banks
Darren Yaden
Scott Montgomery

Too Tall's team came from behind to win. Joey Wilson broke his arm on a "muddle-huddle" kickoff play. I forgot who the MVP was but het got a trophy made out of aluminum foil that Too Tall made and the cup part of it was full of cinnamon candies.

I do remember that Jeff Picoro, who had just finished playing at UK, outran Kenny Phoenix in a foot race. We were all astonished. Picoro played with us for a while and my brother, David, shot the footage.

Wow, that was almost 22 years ago and it seems like yesterday.

7 comments:

hazmit said...

I think that is great stuff. Some of my old running mates played behind Stanford Elementary for a while after high school until injuries and age caught up with us. I would love to get everyone together and have a game. I'll name our old team...me, Chris Vanhook, John Vanhook, Brian Jenkins, Brian Turpin, Jimmy Jones, Todd Coulter, and Donnie McKinney. Good times, most of my team smoked and drank during halftime and water breaks but it was great fun. JL I would love to see that tape. Let's plan a football reunion. Who's game?

sunshine said...

Ouch! My body still hurts when I think about the PTL games. It was a good pain though. It was great fun. You just don't see many pick-up games like that anymore. I think K.P. threw off in the foot race. He did not want to show the TVQ man up that day. I never saw Kenny run down on the field and what about the hands on that man?
I can still remember the loud but dull crack when Joey broke his arm and seeing some people running away with their ears covered. Lucky that was the only bone broke in those games. What about the day someone caught a TD pass and ran smack into the side of the house in the back of the endzone. Not sure but I think it was Scott Morris? Fun times! If we have a reunion I'm there but I'll bet G. Snow's left nut there will be more bones broke and ligaments torn than ever before.

BS said...

I was never invited to play in the turkey bowl. Let me know if it is on for sure, I am getting a jersey made.

"stove top" on the back of it. These old legs of mine might be too old to give it a go. lol

white barn said...

Jeff Picoro has went on to have a nice career. He is a reporter for Fox Sports Channel, host a Bengals post game show on 700 WLW and does the color on the UK football broadcast.

I never realized he worked with David at 36.

hazmit said...

What kind of speed did Phoenix have? Makes me wonder who was the fastest player ever at Lincoln...

sunshine said...

Resee Napier was probably the fastest from LC. He did beat Tyson Gay in the 200 M at the state track meet his Sr. year. That is quite something to be able to say you out ran the fastest man in the world.

Jon Logan said...

Looking back on it, Kenny wasn't so much straight-ahead fast as he was elusive and quick.