Thursday, November 29, 2007

Can you be great?

That is the question Lincoln players should be asking themselves when they take on the South Cincinnati High-birds. Could they be only the third team in Lincoln's history to make it to the state championship game? I spoke with several of the players tonight and them seemed more focused than ever. The look in their eyes invigorated me to want to suit up with them and fight to the death side by side. I told them to realize the importance of this game, a game that can change them from local high school football players in to Lincoln legends.
Let's be honest, we have some seniors that won't play college football so this could potentially be their last game of their careers. Do you want to have any doubts that you could have done more? Do you want to have a loss be the last memory? Do you want to be sitting at a barbeque with your buddies 15 years from now saying "if I had only made that one tackle?, if I had only made that one catch?, if only I would have made that key block on third and long?".....but envision this...you at a barbeque 15 years later but this time with a really hot chick and your buddies saying "remember when I caught that touchdown against Highlands, remember when I sacked Highlands quarterback, remember that time (not at band camp) BUT AT THE STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME".
I told the players something tonight that I truly believe, I have seen just about every Lincoln team since the late 80's and this team plays with more heart than any of them. They play so well together and are so balanced, I just hope they see the victory that they really deserve. Good luck Patriots! Not to steal any phrases from UK football but I BELIEVE.
If any of you have the movie Friday Night Lights, play it before the game and listen to the pregame talk when the coach asks his players "can you be great?" that is the challenge I pose to you tomorrow. CAN YOU BE GREAT?

1 comment:

black3 said...

win or lose its been a great season. you guys have made us proud to be patriots and all of Lincoln county should thank you guys for your hard work and dedication to the great sport of football.
lc - 20
fth - 13