Saturday, December 1, 2007

Patriots season ends with loss to Highlands 49-21

The Patriot's cinderella season came to an end Friday night with a heartbreaking loss to unbeaten Highlands. The Bluebirds jumped on the visiting Pats early and the mercy rule was in effect for the entire second half. On the positive side, our team never gave up and fought back to make the score somewhat respectable. Special teams provided some excitement when Kody Reed smashed a Highlands player to get possession on two onside kicks in the second half. Highlands actually said that Coach Mueller allowed Lincoln to gain possession of those onside kicks just to not make the Patriots look bad. I forgot how generous of a coach Highlands has since they called timeout with :01 remaining in the first half in order to kick a field goal when they were up 46-0, that is no class. I hope Bowling Green squashes them and ruins their dreams for their 17th title. Someone from Highlands will lose some money because they have already ordered their state championship rings, it makes me sick. I saw several late hits and even saw #32 punch our running back on one play six or seven times. Chase Marcum was taunted by one of their fans after he got into it when one of their lineman speared him in the back at the end of a play while he was down. First class program my butt, I hope they lose by fifty and the KHSAA investigates them for recruiting. I have zero respect for their program. Not because we simply lost the game, but for the way they played it. I'm not going to lie, Highlands players executed and we didn't tackle. They had more speed than we did, period.
I honestly think the game could have gone differently had Lincoln scored in the first quarter. The Patriots needed to realize that this team was human, and that they bleed just like we do. I can't fault the Patriots at all because it was a very tough venue to play in and there were a lot of obstacles outside of their on-the-field athleticism that we had to overcome.
I am still very proud of our team this year, nobody thought that you would have a winning record much less be playing in the state semifinals. This year's players and coaches have worked hard and have laid the foundation once again for Lincoln to become an elite program. That alone should make you hold your heads high. Congrats Patriots for a great season and the most important thing is that we are all looking forward to next year.
It all comes down to this, French has not only produced a great football team this year he has produced a great group of young men who will be leaders in the future. High school sports is about so much more than what you do on the field or court. If you are not playing college sports, you use the discipline and leadership you learn in high school sports to guide you in the future. The long and short of this story is tell me this who would you rather go to war with than.....Brummett, Gilbert, Reed, Denson, Conatser, Marcum, Rogers, Young, Edwards, Walls, Foister, Keeton, Long, Bustle. You guys will always have my respect.

8 comments:

hazmit said...

I should have put this in the post but I forgot. I know that all sports are equal but this bothered me. Lincoln had either freshman or JV basketball practice yesterday after school, what's up with that? Do we not teach school spirit anymore? If any of our sports teams make it to playoff, semi-finals, sweet 16, etc., I think our other sports shouldn't interfere but should support. They cancelled the varsity game, but not JV or freshman practice? Come on, somebody needs to explain this one to me.

summertime k.wood said...

Couple of things I agree with:
1) Coach French has produced a group of winners regardless of Friday's outcome
2) Lincoln never gave up even with the running clock and a lopsided score
3) Highlands had more speed\
4) Highlands executed and we didn't tackle

Couple of things I disagree with:
1) Highlands called timeout with :01 to kick a field goal signifying no class. I believe you get all you can before halftime. To me it would show less respect to call off the dogs before halftime. They took out the first team until Lincoln scored 3 quick touchdowns, so I don't think they ran up the score.
2) I don't think the game would have gone differently had Lincoln scored in the first quarter. Highlands had skill players at every position and Lincoln was outmatched. If Lincoln had scored first, it would have not been as lopsided, but I think if we played them 20 times, they would win all 20. This feeling was verified after talking to several Lincoln players after the game. Don't get me wrong, I think LC played as hard as they could from whistle to whistle, but there comes a time when you tip your hat to a better team and realize that your talent doesn't match up.

Having said that, who would I rather be in a foxhole with? I'll take the Patriots every day and twice on Sunday. What a great group of kids who exceeded every prediction and expectation. They have helped revive the PRIDE and TRADTION of Lincoln County football. This year's seniors are 21-5 in their last two years.
GO PATS!

Anonymous said...

i'm with summertime all the way. good post!

Anonymous said...

I have heard rumors of the offensive co. leaving, and Boyle Co.'s coach coming to LC to coach the offense.

Anonymous said...

Why would Pardue do that?? That makes no sense. That would say he is giving up on being a head coach.

Anonymous said...

Maybe he isn't going to be the head coach at BC anymore... wait and see

Anonymous said...

I'm not saying he'll be at BC, I'm just saying he'll be a head coach somewhere.

whiteskill said...

He stinks...why would we want Boyle's sloppy seconds???